Fender 1955/ '68 Precision Bass
This is old, modded, played....a lot, and in fair condition. The neck was also replaced by a 1968 Fender replacement neck. We don't know why this was done. It is the best sounding bass we've had in a very long time. It's current owner has dubbed it the "Voice of God" and we agree. It originally belonged to a journeyman bass player with an incredible career live and in the studio. His name was Dan Mark and his professional credits are many and remarkable. You'll notice some personal touches from Dan that remain on the bass: Two of his picks that were held on by duct tape (which has disintegrated since), a embroidered rose sticker, a black and white picture from a '70s Ragu Spaghetti Sauce commercial glued onto his bass, and some quick reference phone numbers by the neck plate. Included also is a piece of paper from the desk of Red Rhoades, with rudimentary directions to his shop, where Dan had the pickup rewound. Here's a short list of some of his career highlights:
- 1968-Bass on The Beach Boys "Sunflower" album thanks to the recommendation of renowned drummer, Hal Blaine. Most likely played on "Our Sweet Love" which has an uncredited bass line, but Hal Blaine plays drums on that track, so most likely, that's his bass playing.
- 1969-Began playing many live shows in Las Vegas backing Wayne Newton
- Joined Musician's Local 47 In Los Angeles
- 1971-Dan becomes Vicki Carr's full time bass player in concert and in the studio
- Over the next few years, he collaborates on a book with Carol Kaye
- 1973-Recorded "Vicki Carr: Live at the Greek Theatre", a double album that garnered huge success and led to a European tour
- 1974-Vicki Carr and her ensemble are invited to perform at a state dinner for President Ford with guest, Austrian Chancellor Kreisky
- Much of the '70s, he played in the Doc Severinson band when Johnny Carson was in Burbank
- Played on a number of Hanna-Barbera cartoon theme songs, including "Josie and the Pussycats". He also played bass for many Sid and Marty Krofft theme songs including "The Bugaloos"
All of the accomplishments were earned on this very bass. It was his lifelong instrument that made a living for him. He had to put the bass down in 1980 to care for his sick mother. He then suffered from his own serious health problems and could not return to playing.
This is a storied instrument and The Bass Shop is proud to be the caretaker of this bass from it's current owner, who purchased the bass when Dan's family originally put it up for sale over 4 years ago. WE ARE NOT TAKING TRADES OR OFFERS.
WEIGHT: 8 lbs. 0 ozs.
SERIAL #: 11559
NUT WIDTH: 1 5/8"
COLOR: Originally Black or Sunburst, Finish Partially Removed
BODY/NECK/FINGERBOARD: Ash/ Maple/ Maple
PICKUPS/ELECTRONICS: Fender Single Coil (Rewound by Red Rhoades) / Passive Vol., Tone
CASE: Original Personalized Gig Bag From the Original Owner (Not Factory)